Saturday, October 8, 2011

Men of War #1

Men of War #1 is the first hidden gem of the relaunch that I've read so far. Yes, I love my war stories. And yes, I love Sgt. Rock. But this is more than either of them. This is the story of Sgt. Rock's grandson and his life in the military. It's also an extremely well written militaristic tale. Ivan Brandon does an exceptional job of putting you right in the heart of battle, while Tom Derenick brings it to life in a hyper-detailed way. But if war stories are not you cup o' tea, there's even a bit of a surprise that was totally unexpected that should please you. And the back-up story brings me right back to my youth of reading war comics. Phil Winslade does as well with his art as Derenick does in the lead story. This one's a winner that's likely to be overlooked, so I'm here to make sure you don't pass it by.

No comments:

Post a Comment