Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blue Beetle #1

What's this? An actual origin story? That's a welcome element more of these DCnU books should embrace. I knew nothing of this Blue Beetle before reading the book, so I needed all the backstory I could get. It was given in a very neat, simplistic package. Nothing overly amazing about the tale: two warring factions fighting over a prized artifact, the awkward kid who accidently gets his hands on it, strange new powers are now his. Seen it, seen it, seen it. But this time he's Hispanic! And boy do they beat you over the head with that fact. But that's okay. There needs to be more diverse characters out there, and Jaime will fill that need pretty well. My quibble with it though, when a book gives you that "*translated from (fill in the blank)", please translate THE WHOLE SENTENCE. Because if you don't, you're not translating anything. I know enough Spanish to know what's being said, but not everyone might. Especially kids. And this book is going to be geared toward them a lot. I liked the art. Ig Guara has a very nice Todd Nauck feel, which I dig. All in all, a middle-of-the-road read. Fun, but nothing new.

No comments:

Post a Comment