Saturday, October 8, 2011

Batgirl #1

It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Batgirl #1 is the first new title I read out of the first full batch of premieres. Barbara Gordon has always meant a lot to me. But honestly, over the past several years, she's become very unlikeable. Very bitchy, very bossy, very opinionated, and not a great team leader. Well, all of that is gone now. Gail Simone has taken Babs back to a time that feels like Barbara first started out, and yet still has had all of her years of training. It's a very nice mixture. Her paralyzing by the Joker is not forgotten, yet also not explained how she's gotten past that. Which, obviously is a smart move to keep the reader coming back. The art is well done. Nice crisp, flowing lines. Bright colors for a Batbook, but fits nicely. I'm not a big fan of her new costume, so I'll see if it grows on me. I will say it wasn't a flawless book. I felt a little lost in certain parts of the story, so I hope that is explained. It's a good jumping on point for new readers, but older readers might be scratching their heads. But again, it's to keep you coming back. And that, I definitely will be doing.
It needs to be pointed out that I am not a Gail Simone fan. I seem to be the only person on Earth who has actually never read anything by her that I liked. But as with Geoff Johns on Justice League, I can finally say I've read an enjoyable Simone book. I feel DC's creators are really putting their best feet forward with these titles. I hope they still feel as enthusiastic about their work a year from now as they do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment