Saturday, October 8, 2011

Batman #1

The ol' Batman is one of the most highly anticipated titles in the DC relaunch. For the most part it lives up to expectation. The story finds Batman using his detective skills, which is to be expected. But it's still great to see him utilize that aspect of his persona. There's a definite old school mystery feel with the book. I always have felt that's where the great Batman storytellers excel. Scott Snyder is well on his way to leaving a terrific stamp on the Batman mythos. The art style is where it feels a little off. I have always loved Greg Capullo's art. But his style changed dramatically from his X-Force work to his Spawn work. It was really dark and brooding. You'd think that would fit perfectly here. But his style has changed yet again. Maybe that's from the different inker. I'm not sure. I'm just not used to it yet. It's in no ways bad. It still fits the book exceptionally well. I just was expecting one style and got a different one. I will say some characters look shorter and younger than I think they should. But it still feels like a Bat-book. An extremely well crafted one. And sometimes that's all we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment