Saturday, October 8, 2011

Green Lantern #1

I finally get to read Green Lantern on a monthly basis, and it's not even Hal Jordan. That's what first popped in my head when I found out Sinestro was going to be the new Green Lantern. I was pretty upset. But hey, Sinestro was the ONLY good thing about the GL movie, so maybe that was the right thing to do? Indeed it was. Sinestro is a hardcore badass, so to see him in the lead of the main GL book makes all the sense in the world. He's new to wielding the ring again, as are the readers that will be new to this title. We'll both be learning things together. And Hal's still here, adjusting to life without the ring. Again, much like readers who have to adjust to a whole new DCU. It was a great mix of old story threads and new. While I felt lost in certain parts, it wasn't enough to make me be confused with the direction of the plot. I don't know if Geoff Johns has been this good all the time (remember, I was no fan of his until JL #1, and one book does not turn me around completely), but he's firing on all cylinders so far. And Doug Mahnke's art is superb. It's great to see an artist not make the characters look like their movie counter-parts. Let's never forget the COMICS came before the FILMS. Hollywood would be nowhere without them. As one of the DCnU's main core titles, this is a definite must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment