Saturday, October 8, 2011

All-Star Western #1

Westerns and me don't get along. I've never been a fan of them. They just bore me. But when I find a western that I like, I really like it. So I guess I either choose wisely, or choose carefully. Well, All-Star Western was a great choice. I never would've thought it'd be this damn good. I've never read anything with Jonah Hex before, but if his old style was like his current one, I should've been. He's a bonafide bad-ass. He takes no crap but dishes out plenty. My style of action hero. Setting Hex in late 1880's Gotham was a unique choice. So while western is in the title, it's not your typical one. But the feel is still there, thanks in large part to the art. It's really quite a beautifully drawn and colored book. The color choice on some pages makes it feel like you're looking at photos from that era. It's a very unique look. This is one of the best of the new DC titles, and I never would've guessed that going into this initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment