Sunday, January 27, 2013

Young Avengers #1


This book didn't really grab me like I hoped it would. I am a huge Jamie McKelvie fan, but Kieron Gillen is hit or miss with me, with mostly misses. But the two of them together really tend to shine. I just couldn't get into this first issue, though.

The characters were really take 'em or leave 'em. First we see Kate Bishop (who I think is still going by the name Hawkeye) and Noh-varr (formerly Marvel Boy, formerly The Protector). Right here is where I have a major problem. Noh-varr seems to have already forgotten he had a somewhat girlfriend on Earth. Granted, it's only the first issue, and maybe we'll get into that, but I feel like it was a topic that should've been brought up immediately upon the reader seeing his actions with Kate. Hopefully Gillen hasn't forgotten that bit in Noh-varr's history, which is not that deeply involved.
Next we get Hulkling and Wiccan. This made the book for me. Their relationship has always been an important part of every previous Young Avengers series. It's never played out just for the fact that it's a gay relationship because that would be very offensive, it's always been about accepting the fact that two people can truly love each other, no matter their sex. Gillen does a fantastic job with Teddy and Billy. Every bit as good as Allan Heinberg, who co-created them.
Finally, we see Kid Loki and Miss America. Loki is as fun as he has been the entire time Gillen has written him. I only read Journey Into Mystery when it crossed-over with New Mutants, but even there you could see Loki as a youngster really should only be written by Gillen. Miss America, on the other hand, has been a boring character since she premiered in Vengeance. There's just not much to her. If Marvel was just looking for a strong Latina character, I really wish they had used Arana. She at least has some history to work with.

It's too early to tell exactly where the plot is going. This first issue set up about three different story lines with no clear hint of where they're heading, or if they connect. I'm going to assume they connect, or why are all these charcters coming together as a team?

At least Jamie McKelvie gave me everything I wanted (and somewhere so did Mike Norton, because he's also credited on art, but for the life of me, I see no difference in art style). I love how bold and clean every panel is. And there are a LOT of panels in this book. It has a very modern look to the storytelling. Without a doubt, I feel the art is the big selling point here.

This Young Avengers series is a far cry from every previous incarnation. I'm not sure every YA fan will be pleased with the new additions to the title. I know I wasn't happy with the subtractions. I still have hope for the book, because Gillen's stories always have a long lead-in to the overall plot. I'm just not sure if the plot is all that interesting to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment