Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Avengers #1


New Avengers is a misnomer. This book should really be called New Illuminati. And there's not a single thing wrong with that. Unless you didn't like the Illuminati. Which then can I interest you in some All-New X-Men?

Anyways, assuming you did like the Illuminati and are still reading this review, here's the deal. Black Panther takes center stage in this opening salvo. And I do mean salvo, because the action gets hot and heavy pretty much immediately. That pleases me very much. I thought Hickman's Avengers was just way too wordy. I understand that's his deal and writing style, but that's not for me. I never read his Fantastic Four, but I appreciated what he brought to the table with all of the scientific elements that book deserved. But that's not the Avengers. That's a book that should be about global-scale butt-whoopin.' Sure, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are big brains, but that's why you read their solo titles. With the Avengers, I expect to see huge villains and their nefarious schemes being tackled by a massive group of heroes doing what they do best: fight.

New Avengers started off like Avengers did with a lot of scientific jargon. It almost turned me off. But as soon as T'Challa showed up, the action got going. For as well Hickman writes technical intricacies, he can also write a damn good fight sequence. Black Panther might be one of the best characters for him to write. The character has always been as much brain as he has been brawn. And both qualities were put to the test from the get-go.

This issue set up the threat that the Illuminati will have to tackle. Originally it seemed like this book was going to be another Exiles-style book. But instead, the multi-versal threats are coming to OUR planet, instead of the team going to the other planets. Well, we can't have that, can we? So in steps the team that shouldn't exist to fight the threats no one else can.

This is the first book by Johnathan Hickman that I've actually enjoyed. Again, I'm just not into the scientific stuff. Probably because I never did well in science and math in school. But here, Hickman blends science and action so perfectly, that I can't help to love his style. And having Steve Epting on art is an amazing choice. Steve had been stellar on Captain America the past few years, so it's a treat to see him get to draw so many of Marvel's heavy hitters in one title. One titanic title.

If you love the Avengers, you'll dig New Avengers. If you were like me and thought the Avengers was a bit lacking, try New Avengers. It's what you'd think an Avengers title should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment