Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #2


This is the first time I've reviewed multiple issues of a title. But I'm not going to get into a full-blown review here. If you want to know the backstory of Luther Strode, read my review of issue #1. No, the reason I'm reviewing #2 is because this book does such a great job of making you feel connected to the main character. Maybe better than any book has done in recent years (with the excepton of Scarlet). It harkens back to when Marvel first started in the '60's. You can instantly imagine yourself in the lead role. It's a quality that has been missing in so many comics today. Sure, we all want to read about things that could never happen, or we'd just look out our windows for entertainment. But if a book can entertain you while making you feel like you're a part of the story? That's special. I don't feel that way with Marvel titles anymore, and I never felt that way with DC. Sure, I love a lot of what they put out, but in a different way. Maybe Luther Strode (and a few other indy titles out there) make you feel connected because the stories are more personal since they are creator owned? Maybe it's because they have no corporate handcuffs to deal with? All I know is, there's nothing better than reading a book that makes you feel like waiting a month for the next issue is an eternity, and this book does just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment