Sunday, February 3, 2013

Invincible #100


It all led to this! And what was it this led to? A whole bunch of talking. This had to be the most boring anniversary issue I've ever read. All the build-up from the previous months was disappointingly wrapped-up not with action, which is what you'd expect from this book, but with page after page of word balloons. This was so underwhelming, that I really don't have much to say. The characters said enough. In fact, I think they're still talking...

Aside from the wordiness of the issue, the fact that most of the overall plots were wrapped up so neatly, and in most cases so stupidly in their unbelievability, you'd think Robert Kirkman was busy with a tv show or something. The whole issue just seemed rushed. One thing this book did do right though, was to set up the next chapter in Invincible's life. We can see what is in store for Mark Grayson in his professional life as well as his personal life. I just wish there was more of a climatic battle that we were ultimately cheated out of. After 100 issues, the audience deserved that at least. I guess there wasn't enough room behind all the word balloons.

Ryan Ottley did his usual excellence on art, but there just wasn't a lot to draw except for a ton of characters standing around talking. I mean, seriously, it was panel after panel, page after page of Invincible talking. Talking to Dinosaurus, talking to Cecil, talking to Eve. At the end, he should've turned to the reader and said "I'm sorry."

I am looking forward to seeing where this book goes. I still feel it's an exceptional series, always being one of the best superhero titles each month. I just now worry that Kirkman is paying too much attention to The Walking Dead to give Invincible the time it deserves. Invincible was first and it is better. But has it passed it's prime? Hopefully not.

No comments:

Post a Comment